Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

The Player. I'd always heard the stories. Read about 'The Player' a thousand times. I even know 'a player' or two. But until recently, I'd never allowed myself to be 'played.'

You know the type. The ladies man. Charming. Flirty. Good looking. Thinks he can get any girl he wants.

I can usually smell these men a mile off. And I know to stay away. Except maybe this one time....

It was probably because I was feeling vunerable. But I think I knew what I was getting myself into... and it was only going to be a bit of fun. Something to take my mind of my recent break up. Plus I was going through my post break-up 'off the rails' phase.

When I'd first met this flirty guy a few years ago, my sister and I had both scoffed about him, 'he thinks he's so good.' we'd said. 'Thinks he can have anyone he wants! haha.' Neither of us had been interested in his charm.

So towards the end of last year, I found myself getting involved with 'The Player'. A few friends warned me off him. I'd agreed with what they said. But do you think I listened? Nope. 'The Player' and I spent a couple of months kind of half seeing each other and I started thinking that maybe I'd originally been wrong about him.

I liked him. He was actually really nice. When he had time for me. I started getting a little bit attached to him. He was sweet. And funny. He said nice things to me. Made me a mixed CD. He even gave me a little present with a hand made card for Christmas. That's a nice thing to do for someone.

But then he was always so busy. Social engagements, gigs, interstate tours etc. He was hardly around. He was a difficult one to pin down.

The day he gave me that Christmas present was the last time I saw him. We spent a really nice day together, and then he just seemed to disappear.

He went away for music stuff. And then I went away for a few days... When I got back I tried to organise to see him a couple of times. He'd either agree to see me and then cancel, or he just had no spare time. Very popular he was.

I started to think: 'He's just not that into you.' Like the movie (that I haven't even seen). He was totally giving me the run-around. (I now have a song called 'Runaround') But why would he give me a fucking present if he didn't like me?? Maybe he met someone else? Who knows. It's still a mystery to me.

I eventually gave up on 'The Player'. Not that I tried terribly hard, but there's only so much rejection a girl can take.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that he wasn't very nice to treat me like that. No one's ever really fobbed me off like that before with no explanation.

My friend has seen him twice lately. Both times with a different girl. I'm sure it won't be long before I run into him either. No doubt he'll be his usual charming self.

So that was a couple of months ago. I just thought I should write about it so it's all out of my system.

I don't hate him. In fact, I probably have a few positive things to say about my time with him, and I have certainly learnt a few lessons. But all the same, I was still played. And he sucks for doing it.

1 comment: